2016 Spiel Des Jahres Nominees
The 2016 Spiel Des Jahres nominees have been announced and if you haven’t heard of this event before, it is one of the most important awards in the industry of board and card games. The name means Game of the Year in German and the event started in 1978 as a means of rewarding and promoting game design excellence.
To see the impact such an award has, the mere nomination can boost a game’s sell rate from 500 copies to 10,000 and the winners sold even 500,000 copies (games like Dixit, Carcassonne or The Settlers of Catan won this award and became highly appreciated afterwards), so it’s no wonder that this is an event to look for if you are into card and board games.
There are three main awards the main one entitled Spiel Des Jahres (game of the year) which will be announced on the 18th of July along with the Kennerspiel Des Jahres (Connoisseurs’ game of the year), while the Kinderspiel des Jahres (Children’s game of the year) will be announced earlier, on the 20th of June.
Spiel Des Jahres
- Codenames, by Vlaada Chvatil and Czech Games Edition
- Imhotep, by Phil Walker-Harding and KOSMOS
- Karuba, by Rudiger Dorn and HABA
Codenames became really popular during the Gen Con 2015 so it is really no surprise that it was nominated, Imhotep doesn’t even have an English release yet since it only came out in March but it puts you in the place of the famous architect. Karuba is a tile-laying race game in which you have to rush to a temple and take as many items as you can for additional points.
Aside from these three games, the jury also gave five honorable mentions and these are:
- Agent Undercover (Spyfall)
- Animals on Board
- Die fiesen 7
- Krazy WORDZ
Kennerspiel Des Jahres
- Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King, by Andreas Pelikan, Alexander Pfister and Lookout Games
- Pandemic Legacy: Season 1, by Matt Leacock, Rob Daviau and Z-Man Games
- I.M.E Stories, by Manuel Rozoy and Space Cowboys
With the honorable mentions being:
- 7 Wonders: Duel
- Blood Rage
Kinderspiel Des Jahres
- Leo muss zum Friseur (Leo goes to the barber), by Leo Colovini and ABACUSSPIELE
- Stone Age Junior, by Marcus Teubner and Hans im Gluck
- Mmml, by Reiner Knizia and Pegasus Spiele
Here there were many honorable mentions (seven in total):
- Burg Flatterstein (Flutterstone Castle)
- Die geheimnisvolle Drachenhohle (The Mysterious Dragon Cave)
- Harry Hopper
- Sag’s mir! Junior (Time’s up! Kids)
- Burg Schlummerschatz (Sleepy Castle)
- Mein Schatz